Hiring a Contractor Can Be Stressful, Especially When it Comes to Remodeling, Fixing, or Waterproofing Your Basement
But, if you follow these 5 rules for hiring a basement contractor, you will hire a star contractor that will get your work done fast, easy and for the best price:
1. Look for a Lifetime Transferable Warranty
Warranties are there to protect you! Also, if a contract for a simple job is overly long or wordy, that could be a warning sign. Contracts for any work in your basement, from waterproofing to remodeling, should be to the point and brief.
2. High Quality Materials
Did the inspectors bring small samples of exactly the types of materials that they’ll use in your home?
If not, beware.
This is often a sign that they will use cheap, inferior materials. While that may look good for the price they quote you, it will mean they will break down quickly and cost your much more in the long run.
- Get several estimates and really take the time to compare the materials they’re using.
- If it seems flimsy and easily breakable, then it probably is. Get the names of the products and do a Google search. You’ll be able to tell quickly which are good and which are of poor quality.
For example, perforated PVC pipe with some form of “sock” resting on a lay drain, on top of clean stone is considered to be the best type of internal waterproofing system. If they want to use thin pipes and flimsy drains, don’t hire them.
3. Awards, Reviews, Credentials
With Google, it’s very easy to verify a contractor’s work.
Have they won industry or people’s choice awards?
Do they have a mostly positive review on sites like Google, Yelp and Angie’s List?
If so, they do good work.
4. Conservative Pricing
If you have a really solid understand of what you truly need done in your basement, you can seek the best possible price. If you only require a small amount of work and they try to sell you a huge project, this is a very bad sign.
5. Ask Questions…and Have Them Answered
Never forget, you are hiring them! The same way it’s always a great idea to do research on the car you want before you hit the car lot, it’s also a great idea to research the problem you are having so that you can ask questions and get the answers you need.
Hiring a Basement Contractor?
Go with the service that has been voted the Best Waterproofer and Foundation Repair service in the NJ, DE, and PA area for 4 straight years (and counting…)
- We provide basement waterproofing, mold removal, crawl space conversions to a basement, basement remodeling, foundation repair and many other home improvement services in the Philadelphia area, including all of NJ and Delaware.
To see our reviews, click here
For our Facebook Reviews, Click Here